While no divorce is ever easy, some divorces are the epitome of divorce gone wrong. Rational thinking is absent and emotions become explosive. As the crazy side of yourself and your partner emerges, you find yourselves arguing over the “kitchen sink.” Maintaining a rational perspective can be difficult, and for this reason it is vital to hire a seasoned divorce lawyer. A divorce attorney will protect your interests and advise so you can listen to a voice of reason.
Examples of Some Outrageous Divorce Entanglements
- In an effort to avoid talking about clients or recognizable first hand experiences, I found some examples in the Huffington Post where couples lost a viable perspective. The following do a good job of making the point:
- One couple argued for two hours over who would get the groceries left in the refrigerator. The value of the groceries was around $40 and the cost of the mediation time was about $1,000.
- During mediation, a couple efficiently arrived at a settlement for dividing personal property, retirement accounts and real property within and hour and a half. They also agreed on a custody arrangement for their six-year old son. However, they then proceeded to spend four hours arguing about how to divide time spent with their dog, which finally resolved through working out a strict calendared schedule for holidays and precise pickup/drop-off times.
- An estranged wife called the other parent’s employer repeatedly and alleged he had committed theft and other white-collar crimes in her effort to get him fired. At the same time, she had custody of their children and was demanding child support. Most people realize that child support is based on the parent’s income and that getting the parent fired would be counter-productive to collecting child support. Fortunately for her, the employer didn’t fire the husband.
- In one divorce, pursuant to the settlement, the wife received a brand new Maserati. But out of hatred, the husband keyed the finish off of it and removed the tires. He also funneled money to his girlfriend to hide it from his wife so he could avoid having to divide it as marital property. However, the girlfriend broke up with him and kept the money.
Consult with an Attorney about Your Divorce
It is important to consult with a lawyer early on in a divorce case to avoid unnecessary entanglements. Don’t allow your emotions to get the best of you. Attorney Chris Palermo offers compassionate legal help and can help you protect their rights.